Friday, February 18, 2011

friday revamp

So remember just two days ago when I said that Savannah had yet to miss a single day of school this year? And that I had every reason to believe she just might get through the whole school year without a single sick day??

Guess who's home with me today.
Although she's not really sick, so even though she's now acquired her first official home sick day this year, I'm sticking with saying she's still managed to stay healthy. So far.

It all started when I got a call from school yesterday, just after lunch, saying I needed to come pick her up from the school clinic because she had been throwing up. Wha-? She was absolutely perfectly fine four hours ago.
Needless to say, I ditched all else and threw Sawyer in the car to run up to the school to get her, all the while feeling horrible for Savannah that she threw up at school, wondering how it happened and how horrible she must feel.
I walked in and they didn't have her in the clinic... they had her sitting right up front with her things waiting for me. And she looked fine. I asked what happened, how she was, if they had detected a fever or anything... nothing, all they told me was that she had thrown up and she couldn't be at school. So we went home.
Turns out, according to Savannah, she never threw up. She had told a teacher in the cafeteria during lunchtime that she felt dizzy and her tummy felt funny and she was sent to the office. I don't know who said what, but somehow it got turned into 'get this girl home because she's been throwing up.'
Of course I quizzed Savannah on any other symptoms... no fever, no headache, no sore throat, just feeling dizzy and "funny".

The fact that it was the 100th day of school and they had their little celebration that morning with a 100 piece snack. Every child brought in a different ingredient (we brought goldfish) and each student took ten pieces of ten ingredients to make their 100 count "trail mix". And ate it all.
So Savannah had consumed dozens and dozens of marshallows, m&m's, skittles, cheezits, fruit loops, etc, stuffing herself full.
Just before P.E.
Which was immediately followed by lunch.
And then felt sick.
Go figure.

I was a little irritated when I got the whole scoop.
But then she went on to not do anything but lay around all afternoon, rest in her room for awhile and watch some tv on the couch. And she didn't eat -or drink- anything for the rest of the day. So I wondered. She looked a bit pale, but still no fever or vomiting or anything whatsoever.
She didn't eat a single bite for dinner and I had to force her to take three sips of applejuice before bed.
And it was the same this morning.
And she said she was too sick for school.

In reality, I think she was sick from all that sugar on an empty stomach (followed by gym class) which carried over for most of the day, turned into finally actual hunger but she was nervous about her tummy... and this morning probably honestly felt too weak and hungry and probably a little headachy from no food or drink for almost 24 hours to feel up to school. And was probably nervous about really getting sick at school.

So here she sits.
I finally got her to eat some applesauce this morning, and then she asked for some oatmeal, which was inhaled in about 2.3 seconds. It was like once she had food, she realized how hungry she was. And perked up immediately.
And of course she was chasing her brother around, bugging him the rest of the morning.
I keep reminding her if she's feeling fine I can take her to school at any time...

Friday's are usually "my" days since Sawyer's at school too, and I had big plans today to go to the paint store, the fabric store, a big consignment sale and a couple of estate sales I'd been waiting for all week. I was also hoping to go have lunch with Ryan.

Instead, here I am, hanging out with my little school skipper. I guess we'll find things to do around here instead. Lord knows this house can always use a good cleaning day!
Why is shopping for the house is always so much more fun than cleaning it...


Mom said...

Hope everybody is healthy now and that you had a nice weekend. We drove to the "Hart House" in Coos Bay .The weather wasn't great ,but it was nice to see old friends again ,and walk on the beach.XOXOXOXOXOX

Rachel said...

Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa ( may be another choice. i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious sore throat.

About Me

everyday life © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.