Thursday, June 25, 2009

speaking of produce...

(*sorry that video in the post below automatically starts playing if you're on my home page... I may remove that so it's not so annoying...)

We got our two week ration yesterday and just for fun I decided to once and for all figure out exactly how much (if any) money I was saving on produce with this arrangement.
So I jotted down everything that was in our basket this week:
  • 5 red delicious apples
  • 8 plums
  • 8 nectarines
  • 1 bag green grapes (about 2.5lbs)
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • 1 lb strawberries
  • 1 small cantaloupe
  • 1 bunch bananas (about 2.5lbs)
  • 4 big carrots
  • 1 head romaine lettuce
  • 1 bag prepared coleslaw
  • 14 red potatoes
  • 5 ears of corn
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 brown bag full of snap peas
  • 1 brown bag full (heaping) of green beans
Then I went to the grocery store and walked through the produce section, writing down prices and weighing fruits and veggies to get a comparison.
Here are the prices at our closest grocery store:
  • red delicious apples $1.49/lb
  • plums 4/$2.50
  • nectarines $1.99/lb
  • green grapes $1.99/lb
  • pint blueberries 4/$10
  • 1 lb strawberries $2.99
  • cantaloupe $2 each
  • bananas .65/lb
  • carrots $2.99/bag
  • romaine lettuce $1.99/lb
  • bagged prepared coleslaw $1.89
  • 5# red potatoes $2.99
  • corn 2/$1
  • zucchini .99/lb
  • eggplant .99/lb
  • snap peas 2.99/bag
  • green beans $1.49/lb

...which, according to my weights and measures and tallies, for the amount of produce we have in our kitchen right now would total approximately $53.50

And we paid just $22 for ours, which in our experience has been fresher and tastier than what we used to bring home from the grocery store and which includes taxes and delivery.

Now granted, I wouldn't normally have eggplant or coleslaw in my cart or pay $2.50 a pound for plums and nectarines... but still.
The price difference here??
Crazy.

That makes me not feel so bad about letting a zucchini go to waste here and there...


Anyone interested in joining or starting up a co-op??? :)

2 comments:

Steph said...

Me! Me! Me!!! I need to look into that and see if we have something similar around here. I'd love to do something like your co-op. Gee, you save lots of money... plus, I'm sure it's lots of fun getting new things and being surprised with what you're getting each time!

Anonymous said...

I just signed up today with Tracy. I am currently adding members for a new city group. YEAH. Thanks to you ;)

About Me

everyday life © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOP