Wednesday, November 7, 2007

baby it's cold outside

How many Christmas song titles to you think I can use for my blog post titles between now and Christmas?!
No really, it is cold today. 22* outside when we woke up this morning. These cold cold nights are making these great crisp fall days which means the leaves on the trees are finally turning all sorts of autumn colors and slowly making their way to the ground. It is gorgeous out there. I love having to go out and drive somewhere because I love to look around and see all the fall colors with the sun shining and the bright blue sky. It's warmed up nicely today and the sun feels so good out there.

I made more muffins this morning. Thanks everyone for the recipes and ideas. I made these today:

Bran Applesauce Muffins
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup bran flakes
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
mix together and then make a well in the center.
add into well
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/3 vegetable oil
and stir just to combine

then in small bowl beat together
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
and add to bran mixture, again stirring just to combine.
Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 400* for about 20 min.

I rarely bake in the morning... we normally have cereal or raisin toast or frozen waffles for breakfast. Even if the kids ask for pancakes, I normally push for something faster. Easier. Yeah, like pancakes are so hard. The only thing I do involving the stove or oven is oatmeal. Quick oats. I'm lazy in the morning.
But with Sawyer on his muffin kick, I got up this morning and immediately started in on this June Cleaver business. Yes, I was in my kitchen baking before 7am.
I must say though, it was the perfect morning for it. It was so chilly and the yard out the window was so frosty; it was nice and warm and comforting to have something warm and homey in the oven. It warmed the kitchen and made the house smell so yummy. We ate them hot out of the oven and they were soooo good! The kids loved 'em and in fact, Sawyer sat there eating them letting out happy little sounds of Mmmm.... and Yummy... and Yum Yum... while chewing away.

It really only took me a few minutes to get them in the oven, and the kids thought it was such a treat getting something warm (and healthy!) from the oven that Mommy made this morning (isn't that sad? something as simple as me not being lazy in the morning totally made their day.), so I may try things like this more often.
What do you do in your house for breakfasts?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Sounds great! I love to bake and miss all my extra time to do this. I'm looking forward to lots of holiday baking.
We have a pretty good assortment for breakfast.
-I love to make crepes- a childhood favorite
-biscuits w/ butter/jelly or biscuits and gravy
-pancakes- this is the only thing Jeff can make so he makes this once a week.
-french toast
-fruit salad
- muffins and other bakery goods- not as often as I like
-egg sandwiches
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the week when I'm not working. On working days it's frozen waffles or french toast sticks. For Sammy it's a bowl of cereal.

Christina said...

We like to do;
mini whole wheat bagels toasted with light cream cheese or jam, yogurt, applesauce, frozen whole grain waffles, scrambled eggs, muffins (most muffins freeze well and just need a little nuking), power biscotti, cereal (hot or cold). I guess that's the usual, sometimes pancakes, waffles or quiche on the weekends.

About Me

everyday life © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOP