Wednesday, February 25, 2009

goodbye dixie

I have a few Works For Me Wednesday posts brewing, but in the meantime here's an easy one that just dawned on me that I could share...

Growing up, we never used dixie cups in the bathroom. Or any rinsing cup for that matter. We brushed our teeth, loaded up the toothbrush with extra water to "rinse" the mouth, and that was that. I remember visiting friends houses and being envious of those cute little "fancy" (to me) dixie cups. In the fancy dispenser, no less!! I remember thinking, to some extent, they must be rich to afford to buy all those cups they just throw away all the time!! HA!

Anyway, all that to say, I don't quite recall how, but somewhere along the line, my kids got hooked on dixie cups in their bathroom. I think our first batch may have even been a gift? (leftovers from a gramma or something??) The kids really liked that toothbrush finishing rinse, plus it took care of the last I'm thirsty! Can I have a (inch of water) drink?? before bed. So I started collecting coupons or stocking up on dixie cups when I saw them on sale.

But it really bugged me literally throwing away that money all the time. Not to mention the waste. Don't we make enough garbage?? I made them reuse cups for a few days at a time, but still, it didn't sit well with me.

Also, I didn't want to get a permanent "bathroom cup" to use because it kind of yucks me out. I was sure I'd forget to wash it often enough, and I knew that when I did remember, I would always forget to put it back in the bathroom. Just sounded like a hassle.
Much easier to throw away disposable cups :)

The guilt finally did get to me though, and I decided to go out in search of a real cup for each of the kids to have in the bathroom. And then I found an even better solution...








I found this whole stack of 6 cups at Target for $2. (and look! they match the kids' bathroom!!)







Now we keep this stack of cups in the drawer rather than the disposables. The kids use one for a couple of days and then it comes down to be washed. And I don't have to worry about getting it cleaned and put away back up there right away, because they already have a stack of clean ones waiting to be used! No hassle, always available, easy to clean, and green (and green) to boot!For more Works for Me tips, check it out at it's new home at We are THAT Family.

3 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

You described how I have always brushed my teeth :) I use the brush with extra water several times to rinse my mouth. Great idea on the stack of cups - very clever! and I hate to use the dixie cups, too.

Anonymous said...

I love that! What a great idea. I'm off to Target...;)

Hot Deals said...

Geat Idea to follow, thanks

About Me

everyday life © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOP